The low audience of Channel 10’s new breakfast show on Monday was just the latest in a string of rating disasters for the network in recent months.
Channel 10 has been on a rollercoaster over the past few months.
From sharply declining viewing figures threatening The project, a bleak final season of The Bachelor and yesterday’s record start of its new breakfast offering, 10 News first: breakfast† the network is in a fierce battle against its competitors for viewership across the board this year.
But all is not lost for Ten, with Chef early this week scramble to the top of prime time, and the approaching Bachelor education season with its unusual format representing some hope for bosses.
MasterChef is steadily improving
Channel 10’s tentpole cooking competition got off to a rocky start this year Fans vs Favorites season, but it looks like he’s climbing the ladder again at the pointed end.
With participants in Tasmania this week, it won both Sunday (611,000) and Monday evenings (624.00) in its time slot in the five major metro cities.
Stream more entertainment news live and on demand with Flash. 25+ news channels in 1 place. New to Flash? Try 1 month free. Offer ends on October 31, 2022 >
it comes after Chef sunk to only 376,000 viewers in the five capitals of the metro in April.
The season had a bleak startwith 545,000 viewers across the five city subways – the lowest premiere ratings in the franchise’s 14 seasons.
As we head towards the finals, Julie Goodwin, Sarah Todd, Billie McKay and Daniel Lamble are left.
Depth records for new show
Channel 10’s bid to enter the breakfast market got off to a record start, with the new morning program drawing a staggering 44 viewers in Sydney last week.
In what could be the worst ever ratings in Australian TV history, 10 News first: breakfast debuted last Monday at 8 a.m. and according to the Australian, it registered just 44 viewers in Sydney on its second day on the air, reaching just 224 viewers in Perth, according to official OzTAM data.
The new program fills a 30-minute space previously occupied by Studio 10which now starts at 8:30 am
The show, led by Lachlan Kennedy in Sydney from Monday to Wednesday and Natasha Exelby in Melbourne on Thursday and Friday, averaged just 17,000 viewers in the five major metropolitan cities in its first five days.
It came up against Seven’s sunrise and Nine’s Today both of which air from 5:30 a.m. with loyal viewers spanning decades. Meanwhile, ABC News Breakfast has emerged in recent years to compete with them.
Despite the low ratings for week one of 10 News first: breakfasta spokesperson for Ten told the publication that the network was “happy” with the opening week.
“Network 10 is excited to launch 10 News First: Breakfast,” she said. “In the first week, the 2022 average time slot has increased by 13 percent.”
The project has reached an all-time low this year
It occurs a few months after an equally disappointing result The project earlier this year, with numbers dropping to an all-time low on a Sunday in March as they rivaled Nine juggernaut Married at first sight‘s final commitment ceremony.
Channel 10’s current affairs program – which at the time was presented by Hamish Macdonald, Lisa Wilkinson, Tommy Little and substitute presenter Jan Fran – scored a dismal 185,000 on March 20 in the 6:30 pm timeslot in the five-city market.
This figure rose slightly to 265,000 at 7 p.m.
The subway’s ratings fell to just 367,000 in 2021, a 30 percent drop from its five-city audience of 538,000 a decade ago, making it the worst-performing nighttime show on commercial TV.
In response, a spokesperson for the station owned by ViacomCBS told podcast That’s entertainment in November: “Recent media reports show that The project not on 10 in 2022 are completely made up, false and misleading.
†The project just celebrated its 12th birthday and is here to stay! At a time when information, context and understanding are more important than ever, The project will continue to provide Australians with their dose of news delivered in a different way.
The comments came at the end of a horror year Chef† the bachelorette and The Bachelorall of whom were once huge hitters for the network.
Of Chef results are improving now, the network is likely to be hopeful that the success will continue until The Bachelornext season.
Can The Bachelor crawl back to its former glory?
In a world first, The Bachelor Australia will premiere with three protagonists for its 10th season.
In May, host Osher Günsberg unveiled the trio of suitors on The project, promises an “exciting” season with 27-year-old marketing manager Felix Von Hofe, 25-year-old musician Jed McIntosh and 35-year-old restaurant manager Thomas Malucelli at the helm.
“No one in the world has ever had three bachelors, so the way it works, the way everyone gets to know each other is very different this year,” Günsberg teased.
“It was already fascinating. We went [filming] for a while now and it’s already exciting what we’re seeing.”
It comes like having ratings for a once beloved reality show steadily declined in recent years†
Last year’s final, in which Jimmy Nicholson chose Holly Kingston, drew only 629,000 subway viewers.
By comparison, 879,000 subway viewers tuned in to the last episode of Locky Gilbert in 2020.
The BachelorDuring the glory days of the finals, the numbers would easily exceed a million.
At its peak in 2015, Sam Wood’s final drew a staggering 1,482 million subway viewers — the highest Bachelor Australia final so far.
So why have viewers turned off?
Criticized by the show’s “tired” format and the increasing competition against streaming services in the timeslot, the Bachelor education has also had repercussions due to the lack of diversity. This year’s cast saw no exception.
Among those to express their disappointment at the three men cast as The Bachelor was former bachelor Angie Kent, who expressed her opinion in a column for Yahoo†
“It really saddens me to think that we as a nation really need to get rid of this diversity so the average gamer can tune in? The evidence seems to be in the pudding, and by pudding I mean ratings.”
Abbie Chatfield also said on her Hot Nights radio show, “Why isn’t there one person of color?
‘I hope at least one of them is bisexual. I just hope there’s something going on here.”
Network 10 has stuck with its choice to cast the trio.
Speak with TV tonightParamount Executive Vice President and Chief Content Officer, Beverley McGarvey, said, “Diversity looks at a lot of things, and even to cast as it is cast, those guys don’t necessarily all print like your typical Bachelor of years gone by.
“There’s still a really important part of that cast yet to come, which will probably make people rethink their position a little bit.”
She continued, “It’s about cast and crew in representation and we feel it matters, and we’ve clearly demonstrated that with all of our casting choices.”
“This year we tried to do something different with Bachelor educationeven just in terms of the age range, which also allows us to cast different types of women.
“We’re just going to shut up about that and then when people see the entire cast, they’ll see that the entire cast is very representative of the Australian people.”
#Tens #latest #flop #means #network